Beetroot, orange and coconut salad
The summer’s are here and how. The days are sweltering and the evenings arrive with little or no relief. On days like these, one of the hardest decisions to make is what to eat for lunch, because we’re all famished but don’t want to eat a sleep inducing heavy meal. So what do you do then? Eat one of those packaged ‘healthy’ meals that are actually high on sodium and loaded with preservatives? You don’t have to anymore. We’ve come out with an uber easy beetroot recipe which isn’t just delicious but refreshing and filling too.
Beetroots, oranges and coconuts are perfect ingredients for a summer salad. Beetroot and orange are high on vitamin C and coconuts are loaded with nourishing and anti oxidant properties, it’s a party for your skin. The vitamin C helps your body fight the heat, helping your skin fight UV damage and coconut supplies you with good fats and energy to keep you going. The dressing is very light and again packed with the goodness of oranges and anti oxidants. Besides being super healthy, all of the ingredients are local and easy on the wallet and super colourful making it Instagram worthy.
2 small beetroot, skin scrubbed and cut into 8 wedges
1 tbsp cold-pressed oil
1/2 orange (other half is squeezed to make the dressing)
80g fresh coconut (about 1/4 of a coconut)
Handful dill leaves
Cracked black pepper
Juice of 1/2 orange
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
1 teaspoon jaggery liquid
1 good grind of Black pepper and Himalayan Salt
What to do:
1. Prepare the beetroot by scrubbing the skin well, and cutting into 8 wedges.
2. Place in a baking tray with a little oil, and a good crack of salt and pepper, cover with foil and roast at 180 C for 20 minutes
3. After 20 minutes, the beetroots should feel soft- uncover the foil and roast for a further 20 minutes without foil to allow them to crisp up at the edges.
4. Meanwhile cut the orange in half- keep one for the dressing. Take the remaining half, cut into slices and remove the segments (keep peel to make homemade marmalade or to zest into marinades). discard white pith.
5. Cut the coconut into thin flakes and toast in the oven for 5 minutes until some parts have told golden brown.
6. Meanwhile make the dressing- mix all ingredients in a cup and whisk with a fork until combined.
7. Once beetroot is nicely caramelised, arrange on a large plate evenly and place the orange segments in between., scatter the coconut on top and the torn mint leaves.
8. Pour the dressing over the top and allow all the flavours to marinate for 5 minutes or so.
9. Garnish it with torn dill leaves
10. Take a picture , upload it on Instagram and tag us.